[Tagging] Deprecating operational_status and especially values such as operational_status=closed

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Thu Jan 14 08:55:16 UTC 2021

On 1/10/21 04:15, Marc_marc wrote:
> Le 10.01.21 à 10:50, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging a écrit :
>> Some objects like https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3158114573
>> are tagged with tags that I consider very problematic: operational_status=closed
> well, according to the proposal about this tag,
> it's for temporary status, it is not a replacement for a life cycle tag.
> a fire hydrant that is not operational for 6 months because there is
> work on the pipeline 1km away, it is still a fire hydrant for the common
> contributors, and the hydrant itself is not broken or abandoned when it
> is temporarily not operational

For businesses normally tagged with opening_hours=*, this instead should
probably be: opening_hours=closed "Temporarily closed due to <COVID-19,
civil war, zombie invasion, etc>" with perhaps the original
opening_hours moved to another tag. I can see something like it for
things like fire hydrants, bus stops, trash cans, recycling containers,
etc but it does add yet another tag that needs to be checked by data
users. As silly as it may seem to add opening_hours=closed "<reason>" to
a fire hydrant, at least most data users will know its meaning.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com