[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:09:25 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 07:16, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So it sounds like there is no opposition to my original request: That we
> discourage the use of healthcare=centre, since it does not have any
> particular meaning (beyond "a healthcare facility of any kind"), and
> encourage mappers to use more specific tags like
> hospital/clinic/doctors/dentist/laboratory/etc.

I thought I had already responded, but perhaps not clearly enough.

In England and Wales (and, for all I know, Scotland and Northern Ireland
too) "cottage hospitals" (small hospitals with a minor injuries unit but not
an A&E, some beds) are being replaced by "integrated care centres"
(like a cottage hospital but often does not have beds).  Because these
often do not have beds, people do not think of them as hospitals
and health boards do not call them hospitals.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_care for general principles.
See https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/part-rel/transformation-fund/
for government management-speak.  And see
https://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/Comment/creating-the-cardigan-integrated-care-centre
for my local "I can't believe it's not a hospital" (actually, I can believe
it's not a hospital, because it's not a hospital).

Either we use healthcare=hospital for integrated care centres (which I
am reluctant to do, because they're not hospitals as most people
think of the term), or we call them clinics which have several sub-clinics,
or we come up with something else, like healthcare=centre.

--
Paul