[Tagging] Evaporation ponds

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:08:40 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 13:51, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

>   Can you offer up a real-world example of this or is that a
> hypothetical?  I am not familiar with this concept.

 It's passive evaporative cooling.  The only examples I know of have the
water inside built structures and would not be visible from aerial imagery.
An active system could make use of a cooling pond, I suppose.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

This video goes into a little more detail, although the diagram it
uses does not show the water clearly (but the photos of actual
installations do).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRYuUqYI3nM

Amusingly, that video shows another type of water feature that
may be visible on aerial imagery and which can be considered
a type of basin.  An ice pond in countries like Iran, which uses
a combination of shading, evaporative cooling and radiative
cooling to the night sky to create ice.

--
Paul