[Tagging] Evaporation ponds

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:28:50 UTC 2021

> > landuse=salt_pond is already the "de facto" tag for sea salt evaporation
> > ponds (aka salt pans, salterns), since these have a rather different
> > function.
>
> Is it that different though?
> Wouldn't basin=evaporation, evaporation=salt or similar make more
> sense theoretically?

Note the following exchange with some mappers in Spain where I explored
this question: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/55499581

In that case, there was a series of intermediate basins that hold salt
water, but only the final, shallowest basin was actually used for salt
harvesting, and so they had essentially both salt water holding basins and
salt ponds.  And so, you could conceivably have landuse/water=basin +
salt=yes for the intermediate ponds and landuse=salt_pond for the ones
where salt is actually harvesting.