[Tagging] [Talk-us] Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Jan 14 14:48:38 UTC 2021

On 1/14/2021 3:10 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-us wrote:
> I encountered case where mapper assumed based on their old visit that
> every single road in New York City is definitely surface=asphalt and
> mapped them this way.
>
> Is it safe to assume this? Is such edit OK or something to be reverted?

Certainly not safe to assume this. Offhand cobblestone, brick, and
concrete are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't be surprised to find gravel
or compacted roads in the outer parts of the outer boroughs.

Famously there's still one dirt "road" in Manhattan (actually an
alley... with too many access tags, it seems)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/386951769

Jason