[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:33:03 UTC 2021

So are you actually proposing that we use healthcare=centre for every
healthcare facility (or every healthcare facility that doesn't already have
a tag only?) and then add  healthcare:speciality=<type_of_facility>?

Why not shorten that second tag to healthcare=<type_of_facility> and drop
the healthcare=centre tag? That's what I a proposing, since
healthcare=centre just means "a healthcare facility" - the definition of
the key "healthcare=*"

See Key:healthcare https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare

"A healthcare facility"

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:35 AM Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> On 14.01.2021 08:13, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> > So it sounds like there is no opposition to my original request: That
we discourage the use of
> > healthcare=centre, since it does not have any particular meaning
(beyond "a healthcare facility of
> > any kind"), and encourage mappers to use more specific tags like
> > hospital/clinic/doctors/dentist/laboratory/etc.
>
> This is incorrect! There were several voices saying that
healthcare=centre has some merit, and more

t.pfeifer at computer.org>:
> >         I see your point, but healthcare=centre has some merits. Thus
I'd prefer refining to
> >         discouraging.
> >         What we could do is to write a disambiguation section that
recommends to check if the
> >         facility falls
> >         in one of the categories that has more precise tagging, and use
that instead.

> Just now, On 14.01.2021 12:09, Paul Allen wrote:
>  > Either we use healthcare=hospital for integrated care centres (which I
>  > am reluctant to do, because they're not hospitals as most people
>  > think of the term), or we call them clinics which have several
sub-clinics,
>  > or we come up with something else, like healthcare=centre.
>
> I agree that we should head for being more specific, but there are two
roads to choose from.
> - One road is to check if there is a more precise top-level tag (e.g.
amenity=hospital etc)