[Tagging] pattern, location for relation proposals

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Jan 15 19:03:05 UTC 2021

> Am Fr., 15. Jan. 2021 um 17:13 Uhr schrieb Rafael Avila Coya
> <ravilacoya at gmail.com <mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Did you consider using type=site for racing circuits? [1]

i have used type=site for circuits and the surrounding grounds.
it doesn't really do what is wanted for representation of individual
courses. for example, in OSM today Thompson Speedway in Connecticut
(USA) has three different circuits - a 5/8 mile oval, a road course,
and a slightly shorter version of the road course. Watkins Glen (also
USA) has a short course and a long course. that's just OSM usage for
currently existing tracks; if OHM were to be considered then there
are multiple defunct courses at both locations.

i'm using type=circuit now, this link to my test leaflet widget for
Thompson Speedway shows how i'm making use of this - overpass queries
for the relations and then providing a way to turn the variants on
and off using the layers button in the upper right corner.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/test/Thompson.html

> I guess it would only be needed when the circuit wouldn't have its own
> grounds or area. For those that I know, this is never the case. If you
> mapped them as site relation it would not show up on many maps,
> including carto-OSM.

i'm treating the racing surface as a distinct entity inside the site.
i use highway=raceway for the actual ways that are hot areas (track
surfaces that are in restricted access because cars can and will be at
racing speeds.)

richard
rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux