[Tagging] Street and Sub-Street in Address Tagging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 15:22:58 UTC 2021

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 10:04, Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks to @Paul, @Graeme, @Colin, @Martin (and any others whom I missed)
> for their contributions.

I've had time to think on it, so here's a gratuitous contribution for you.
It
may help or it may hinder.

Thinking about the ones I've mapped, and ones I know of, there are
three broad categories depending on the axis of the dependent
thoroughfare relative to the axis of the thoroughfare.

Your example (and mine) had coincident axes.  Essentially you
have a row of houses with the numbering sequence 1, 2, 3, 1,
2, 3, 7, 8, 9.  Possibly weirder than that where there are fewer
or more numbers in the sub-sequence than would be
expected if they were direct substitutions, such as 1, 2, 3,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9.  The ones I've encountered are
rarely signed, so are very confusing on the ground.

You could solve part of the problem by applying name:left
(or name:right) to the appropriate section of the street.
This often isn't the reality (there may be no street sign
showing that name, locals may not think of it that way,
etc.).  You could solve the address part of the problem
using addr:full, but that causes problems with
geocoding which can only be partially fixed by
duplicating the relevant parts of addr:full in the
conventional addr fields.

The next broad category is where the axis of the
dependent thoroughfare is perpendicular to the axis
of the dependent thoroughfare in the horizontal plane.
Often the result of a large residential plot being
sub-divided.  One might ask why the relevant
authorities didn't decide to just call the result
"Bar Court" instead of "Bar Court, Foo Street"
but the fact is they did not.  Frequently in the
UK such divisions get their own postcode
because otherwise properties that are in
Bar Court that front onto Foo Street would
result in duplicate numbers on Foo Street.
I live in such a dependent thoroughfare.

You could partially solve this one by using
Bar Court as addr:street,  As long as it's
the only Bar Court in the town.  And with
possible problems with geocoding if
somebody queries for "Bar Court, Foo Street"
(because they enter the full address) and gets zero results.

The third major category is tower blocks.  I suspect many
mappers have used addr:housename for the name of
the tower block itself and addr:housenumber for the number
of the dwelling within the block.  Which sort of works, but
means addr:housename has a different meaning (it would fail if
anyone within the block named their dwelling).

To make it clear, in "ordinary" addresses a house might have a
name, or a number, or both.  Royal Mail maintains those with aliases,
so "1 Bar Street, Smallville," "Dunmappin, Bar Street, Smallville"
and "Dunmappin, 1 Bar Street, Smallville" all refer to the same delivery
point.  For a tower block, "1 Foo Towers, Bar Street, Smallville"
is not the same thing as "Foo Towers, Bar Street, Smallville" (not
a fully-specified delivery point unless there is only one entity
within).  If "Foo Towers" has more than one deliverable
occupant, it isn't really an addr:housename even if it's probably
been mapped that way, because you cannot omit the house
number as you could with an "ordinary" address with a house
name.

We have partial kluges for all three categories, but none work
well.  A field for dependent thoroughfare would be a full solution
for all of them (but there are probably weirder examples that not
even that would fix).

--
Paul