[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 00:19:26 UTC 2021

Re: " two of the No votes came from people with no User or Talk pages ...
 it also appears that neither of these people have ever mapped in OSM"

That's not certain. There is no requirement to create the same username
when mapping and for the wiki.

Re: concerns -

I hope we can clarify which sorts of landuse=military should NOT use this
tag. If that's done I will be perfectly happy with it.

I would suggest that the description should be taken as AND requirements,
not AND/OR:

"A military base is a facility, directly owned and operated by or for the
military or one of its branches, which houses military equipment and
personnel and facilitates training and operations"

Certainly a facility which houses military equipment AND, personnel, AND is
used for training AND operations is certainly a base.

The issue is what to do with a landuse=military that only houses military
equipment (e.g. a chemical weapons storage facility), or which is only used
for training but does not have permanent housing or operations facilities.
I think other tags should be created for these sort of places, and
military=base should be limited to the fully-developed facilities that have
all those requirements.

-- Joseph Eisenberg