[Tagging] noaddress=yes and (possibly) implicit buildings

Matija Nalis mnalis-openstreetmaplist at voyager.hr
Sun Jan 17 05:01:36 UTC 2021

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 11:20:09 +0100, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand this correctly, there is an urgent need to do something in
> a specific context.

There are more and less urgent tasks associated with earthquake situation,
but we'd like to know a longer-time prospect too.  The rebuilding/renovation
process would also benefit from this, and is probably going to be taking
years (if our last crisis response is any measure).

> A general noaddress=yes would need a lot of considerations, as addressing
> schemes vary, and the interpretation of what is an address varies, and also
> which places are expected to have an address (in the proposal mail above,
> there is a reference to buildings where no-one lives as having no address,
> for example).

Yes.  So I'm posting here in order to collect those considerations and then
we can decide how to best proceed.  Basically, what it boils down to is if
it is breaking down something in OSM if buildings that MIGHT have implied
"noaddress=yes" have it tagged explicitly. We know for a fact they don't
have address, but don't know weather it is because it's garage or shed or
something else which might have implied "noaddress=yes".

> I think the best solution would be an ad-hoc tag, with a precise
> definition, but that is limited to the after-earthquake emergency in
> Croatia. The tagging should be chosen to make that point clear.
> If that tag then later turns out to be more generally useful, it can be
> "exported".

Yes for more urgent tasks, we will use whatever ad-hoc solution we can.
We'd like to avoid doing things twice though - hence I'm checking here if
adding noaddress=yes is acceptable longer-term solution for building for
which it is known that they have no address whatsoever.  We'd ideally like
to use something that is already present in data tools / consumers
(otherwise we'd have to reimplement stuff, which is very suboptimal)

so "noaddress=yes" would be preferred by us to, say, "note=has_no_address_in_RPJ"
or (even worse) "earthquake_cro_2021=this_building_really_has_no_address".

> Other consideration: maybe HOT has already developed an approach that can
> be copied.

Thanks, I've taken look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/HDM_preset
and around but have not found noaddress=yes related ideas.  Any additional input would be
welcome!

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.