[Tagging] Street and Sub-Street in Address Tagging

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Sun Jan 17 09:13:51 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 08:39:38AM +1000, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 06:23, Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:
>

> > The one kind of cases you have presented are essentially buildings that
> > get their own numbering. Something like:
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/736757638 or
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5796920749
>

> With these examples, Sarah, I'm a bit confused as to where the addresses
> come from?

I was just looking through addresses tagged with addr:parentstreet
via Overpass to get an idea how it is being used
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/12t2

I'm not a local or have much knowledge about British addressing.
Just going from Colin's explanation I assume:
addr:street -> dependent thoroughfare
addr:parentstreet -> thoroughfare

> 736757638 shows 1-4 Rose Lane which is fine, but then also says
> "addr:street Saddler Court"? Would that be the name of the building?

So the address here would be: 1-4 Saddler Court, Rose Lane, Diss

> Same with 5796920749, which says the cafe is at 6 Sanderstead Road, but
> also says addr:street Station Parade?

And here: 6 Station Parade, Sanderstead Road, South Croydon

>From browsing the data, I have the impression that around 4 in 5 uses of
addr:parentstreet come together with a building or a group of buildings in
addr:street. That's why I was highly confused about the tag initially. But
once you figure out that this might be just UK's Royal Mail trying to squeeze
an address into their existing database scheme, it starts to make sense. At
least for Royal Mail. As I say, I don't think it's suitable to have a 1:1
mapping between Royal Mail database fields and OSM tags.

Sarah