[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:18:33 UTC 2021

Am So., 17. Jan. 2021 um 00:46 Uhr schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick <
graemefitz1 at gmail.com>:

> It gives me great pleasure to advise that voting closed with a result of
> 18 yes, 6 no = 75% approval, so the proposal is accepted.

maybe even 18 yes and 5 on, because it seems that a reason is required for
a no vote (unlike the comment for yes votes, it is not marked as "optional")

> One thing with regard to the vote did concern me though.
>
> I noticed that two of the No votes came from people with no User or Talk
> pages (& yes, I know they aren't required - I only created my own a few
> weeks ago!), however, it also appears that neither of these people have
> ever mapped in OSM?

The user talk pages (like all wikipages) are automatically created when you
write something on them and save. They might not read it though. You do not
have to have a user page for voting, nor can anybody tell which wiki
account belongs to which osm account (if they use minimum opsec like a
different email address for registering, and maybe a VPN or different
dynamic IP), nor is there a formal requirement to be otherwise active in
OSM in order to participate in the proposal process, although it is also
highly unlikely someone without significant interest in OSM would take part
in voting. Not a big problem, also because voting is not very important,
you can still use or not use a tag that was approved or rejected, and to
get a tag established you need more than a positive vote, people must be
using it. You must take the hurdle of an initial critical mass, then
editors will likely catch up with their presets.

Cheers,
Martin