[Tagging] Sidewalk tagging: one side separate, the other implied

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 17 15:27:30 UTC 2021

Jan 17, 2021, 11:22 by mail at jeroenhoek.nl:

> The wiki (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sidewalk) does not
> seem to explicitly document this behaviour, but in the past year the use
> sidewalk:right=separate and sidewalk:left=separate grew to roughly 5,000
> each. If there are no strenuous objections I would like to go ahead and
> document the above on the wiki.

If it is used and not just as result of undiscussed imports then it
definitely makes sense to mention this - as with any used tag,
every tag in actual use deserves documenting (except cases
of values like name=Zarzecze on freeform tags and ones
where specific value pages add no extra info like
maxspeed=70)

raw usage graph is not indicating imports
http://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/sidewalk:left/&***/sidewalk:right/

But as this is quite rarely used compared to other tagging it
should not be very prominent at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sidewalk

http://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/sidewalk:left/&***/sidewalk:right/&***/sidewalk/left&***/sidewalk/right&***/sidewalk/no&***/sidewalk/none&***/footway/sidewalk

(disclaimer: footway=sidewalk is overrepresented in raw tag statistics
for multiple reasons - it is not dominating)