[Tagging] noaddress=yes and (possibly) implicit buildings

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:41:24 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 10:14, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> The discussion has been revolving around earthquakes in Croatia mostly,
> so I have to ask:
>
> Is this still about the proposal to let StreetComplete...
>
> 1. ask its users for the housenumber of every building=yes (worldwide)
> 2. tag noaddress=yes on a building if it has none (cause it is a
>     shed or whatnot)
> (3. remove noaddress=yes if/when that building is later tagged to be a
>     type of building that usually has no address (like a shed or whatnot)
>     via the app)
>
> ...?
>
> I see 2. as being potentially problematic. In some places addresses are
not always displayed even when they exist, and even the ones on display can
be in poor condition or obscured by foliage temporarily.  A StreetCompleter
would not be able to answer this question definitively. They could only say
if they can see one or not right now.

1. could get tedious very quickly in areas with many separate garages sheds
etc., I presume this is why the address query is normally suppressed until
after building type ID in the first place.

This behavior for Streetcomplete was proposed in