[Tagging] noaddress=yes and (possibly) implicit buildings

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sun Jan 17 20:19:54 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:57:06 -0800
Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should map what is visible in the real world. If the official database
> is wrong, then it needs to be changed, or the number on the house needs to
> be changed, but we map what exists, not what should be.

This will be my last e-mail in this thread because this is getting
ridiculous since nobody shows the slightest sign of understanding.

If the house owner does not replace the number on the house but
everybody including himself is using the new address (and the old one
possibly even being deemed invalid by some services) then this new
number *is* the correct house number no matter what the old color or
plaque on the wall is telling you. Of course this is not the norm - I
was never pretending that! - but it is a fact that this happens and that
mapping what's on the wall is wrong in these cases period. This might
be hard to verify on the ground for the casual alien mapper but that's
not different to arm-chair mappers that misinterpret aerials.