[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Tim Magee timothy at eastlincoln.net
Sun Jan 17 20:31:17 UTC 2021

Many zoos (and other parks) in the US (and maybe elsewhere) have small
trains. These trains are essentially "rides" in the amusement park sense
of the word.

According to the wiki right now, a miniature railway should be tagged as
"railway=miniature". This tag [0] refers to "railways [that] are
narrower than narrow gauge and carry passengers. They can often be found
in parks." This is exactly what is often found in zoos and other parks
throughout the US.

The entry for "attraction=train" [1] is "a train used to visit a park
and see other attractions or views", and "is not a roller coaster." This
sounds like what we find at parks and can be described as a
"railway=miniature". However, this same entry continues, "If there are
rails, they can be drawn as [a line] and tagged roller_coaster=track. Do
not tag them as any railway!"

This suggestion does not make sense to me. If an "attracion=train" is
*not* a roller coaster, why tag the rails as a roller coaster track?
Also, why not use "railroad=miniature" given that its wiki entry
describes an "attraction=train"?

Further, the actual page for "attraction=train" [2] describes it as "A
trackless train for the transport of tourists." This directly conflicts
with the idea that it will often have rails.

I propose the following language for attraction=train:

A small train that exists primarily as an attraction rather than for
transportation. Within a park, such a train will frequently allow riders
to view the park. This is not a roller coaster as it does not exist as a
thrill ride. It can have tracks or it can be a "road train".

I also propose that we remove the language from "attraction:*" that
suggests that we use "roller_coaster=track" for the track of an
"attraction=train".

Any comments or further suggestions?

[0] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dminiature

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:attraction#Values