[Tagging] Denominations vs religions organisations

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:57:22 UTC 2021

Are you all then recommending that a Southern Baptist church, "First
Baptist" in Tyler, Texas be changed from:

(old): "denomination"="baptist" + "name"="First Baptist"
(new) "denomination"="Southern Baptist Convention" + "name"="First Baptist"

And that an Assemblies of God church in Indonesia be changed from:

(old): "denomination"="pentecostal" + name="Gereja Sidang Jemaat Allah
Filadelfia"
(new): "denomination"="Gereja Sidang Jemaat Allah" + name=""Gereja Sidang
Jemaat Allah Filadelfia"

The problem here is that we would end up with different names in each
language, so it wouldn't be much use for search or categorization unless
you already knew what you were looking for. Also 90% or more of current
denomination tags are big categories like "evangelical" or "orthodox"
(Jewish) or "tibetan" (Buddhist) so we would have to retag most of the
existing usage to match the full name of the organisation.

Or are you guys just saying "give up on that tag, it's hopeless?" ;-)

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 1:38 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 17 Jan 2021, at 21:56, blendergeek <timothy at eastlincoln.net> wrote:
> >
> > Also, many denominations are congregational in nature. A congregational
> > denomination functions almost like a franchised business. A "Southern
> > Baptist" church is in no sense "operated by" the Southern Baptist
> > Convention.
>

> I agree that operator is not the right term here, and is problematic as
it would require a lot of insight to discern, and probably often lead to
offending or misrepresenting tagging.