[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:20:49 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 14:55, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Mo., 18. Jan. 2021 um 15:36 Uhr schrieb Stefan Tauner <
> stefan.tauner at gmx.at>:
>

>> That being said, I realize that the railway's history also plays a role
>> in my thinking: if it was built initially for mainly amusement purposes
>> it is rather a miniature_train.
>

> coming back to my example, how do you see it?
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25950727

Only one platform/station on the line (well, only one mapped) so
it's an amusement ride rather than a transportation system.
Even with standard gauge rails, it would be an amusement ride
(but not a miniature railway).

German WP has distinctions between:
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkeisenbahn
> and
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartenbahn
> example
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mh_gartenbahn_verkehrshaus_luzern.jpeg

To the extent I understand the translations of those, it appears
English may have similar distinctions which relate more to usage than
anything else.  The English variations would both come under
"miniature railway" and I suspect those two German ones would
also do so.

and says it is "fuzzy".

Google Translate says it's "fluid."  Either works.

--
Paul