[Tagging] objects mixing linear and area (for ex fence and landuse)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:14:40 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 18. Jan. 2021 um 16:54 Uhr schrieb Kevin Kenny <
kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:

> One thing that works wihtout wreaking any violence upon the data model is
> to break the fence into two or more pieces and tag each piece with
> `barrier=fence`. Then create a multipolygon with the lines as outer ways
> and hang the description of the area off of that.

I am already doing this, you do not even need to break the fence, the
minimum requirement for a multipolygon relation is a closed outer way, one
way is ok. It has the advantage that you can have as many attributes on the
fence as you like (e.g. "height"), and it remains always "clean" and not
ambiguous as with mixed objects. The actual situation is that they often
have no additional attributes, so "fenced=yes" could replace them (although
the ones without attributes might get them in the future, while those
indirect "fenced=yes" objects have a higher probability to remain simple).

> The lines are simple linear features, so no data consumer has a problem
> with them, and virtually all data consumers understand how multipolygons
> work, so that doesn't cause a problem either.

Yet there are many voices who do not like multipolygons, some time ago
there was even a thread on User:Germany which suggested they were a
disease. I can see how such a structure makes things slightly more complex
and that as simpler solution with a property would be preferable - as long
as it hasn't side effects.

Cheers,
Martin