[Tagging] How to tag a street plaque?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Mon Jan 18 19:01:30 UTC 2021

What would be the difference between the words "plaque" and "sign"?

I would prefer information=* instead of man_made=*, since the first
conveys the real purpose of the element and not some kind of
construction or building.

I would say there are millions of these plaques in Portugal, since they
are mandatory in every urban settlement, even in small villages, but I
doubt that someone is going to map them intensily.
This came up only due to those plaques with more information than the
normal name of the street.

We could also add the tag material=*, since every county can regulate
about their size, colour and material.
See these examples with azulejo (tiles):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Placa_da_Rua_Mendon%C3%A7a_Pessanha_-_Lagos_-_12.12.2018.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rua_Mercadores_placa_(Porto).JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rua_S_Joao_placa_(Porto).JPG