[Tagging] How to tag a street plaque?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:27:51 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 18. Jan. 2021 um 20:03 Uhr schrieb António Madeira <
antoniomadeira at gmx.com>:

> What would be the difference between the words "plaque" and "sign"?

it would make the distinction clear between the (in osm) established term
memorial=plaque and the also established term (so far only in the language,
not in osm tagging) street sign

> I would say there are millions of these plaques in Portugal, since they
> are mandatory in every urban settlement, even in small villages, but I
> doubt that someone is going to map them intensily.

I also do not expect this to be mapped in big numbers (who knows), but it
may be useful when there are typos. This happens rarely and some mappers
become excited about typos on official signs, and want to map them. It is a
topic that sometimes pops up. There is also the "signed_name" property with
a poor 14 uses, "unsigned_name" has 83, but for a man_made=street_sign
people could use "inscription"?

Cheers,
Martin