[Tagging] Miniature railways and park t rains

ET Commands etcommands at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:46:32 UTC 2021

> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:58:34 -0500
> From: Tim Magee <timothy at eastlincoln.net>
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains
>

>> The problem is that these are not exclusive. How do we determine which
>> aspect is more important?
>>
>> Maybe it would make more sense to declare those that could be placed in
>> either category (i.e., the big miniature trains) or are overlapping in
>> possible usage as "narrow-gauge" and just add some attraction-specific
>> tags?
>>
>> OTOH, I just discovered that there was a clear distinction written down
>> in the proposal of railway=miniature and that is the track width:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/railway%3Dminiature
>> i.e., miniature == 2.5" (64mm) to 3.5' (1067mm)
>>
> Maybe we should tag all the *rails* of miniature railways as
> railway=miniature. If there is only one publicly accessible and
> regularly used stop on the system, it is a pure amusement ride and could
> be tagged attraction=train or attraction=train_ride. If there are
> multiple stops, it could be some form of public transit sort of like
> Disney's monorail.

As has been pointed out previously, we mustn't forget outdoor "model" or "hobby" miniature trains.  There's one near me that I've mapped [1].  It is on private property and is not an attraction, nor is it large enough to carry people.  It is simply someone's hobby.  The rails are about 6 inches apart.  Unfortunately I do not have a picture.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/39.97556/-85.64379