[Tagging] noaddress=yes and (possibly) implicit buildings

Matija Nalis mnalis-openstreetmaplist at voyager.hr
Mon Jan 18 22:57:52 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 14:38:34 +0100, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> No_address is different from no_house umber.
> My house in the UK has no housenumber, but a name.

Yes, of course.  Then the user of SC would then choose option
"No house number but a name" in StreetComplete, and enter the name
of the building. (There is also support for several other addressing
schemes and not only street+housenumber, sometimes depending on the
country).

This thread is however about another situation - when some building does not
have name nor housenumber nor any other type of address (like shed or carport
in many countries, for example), then it should be candidate for "noaddress=yes",
do you agree?

So I am talking about user on the ground, who is most probably in his own
country (or at least physically present in country s/he is at least somewhat
familiar with what constitutes "an address" in it), and sees building that
has no address nor markings of any kind, nor is it of type that is likely to
ever have address (in that country/locale).

For example in Croatia, shed or single garage practically won't ever have
an address, so the mapper sees shed without any address markings, knows that
in Croatia sheds wouldn't have an address anyway, and proceeds to mark that
"building=yes" area with "noaddress=yes".

So the thread is about weather EXPLICITLY adding "noaddress=yes" is OK,
even in situation when "noaddress=yes" would be IMPLIED if correct building
type was mapped INSTEAD (eg. "building=yes" in most of the world).

> Also there are countries,  where the street name plus house number or name
> is not used. Addresses are expressed differently.

I do not think that what is considered "an address" is a factor in deciding,
as I'd assume the user who gets out specifically to map addresses is
familiar what address means in that country.

But I'd be interested if you could provide further information / example
there, thanks!

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.