[Tagging] List of obviously needed improvements to OSM Wiki

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 19 07:59:45 UTC 2021

Jan 19, 2021, 00:40 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 07:52, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>

>> If someone wants to play with Overpass Turbo to locate changets that introduced this
>> (for checking is it revertable as undiscussed import) but is unaware how this can be done
>> - let me know and I will document it on wiki :)
>>

> In regard to OT, when I use it, it frequently times out at 26 seconds.
>
> Error message: > runtime error: Query timed out in "query" at line 12 after 26 seconds.
>
> I've always assumed that I was asking for results for too big an area, as it then usually works when I zoom down to the UK, or Eastern US only, but that then makes it very hard to look at all instances of that result. Having said that, though, other times it will happily return results for the entire world in one go?
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or could it be a limitation of my laptop?

It depends on several things (query complexity, amount of data, how overpass is implemented,
probably also load on servers).

You may be doing something wrong if you write own queries that can be optimized better.

It is likely not a laptop limitation (unless it fails during data rendering).

Hints:
(1)
Note that timeout can be modified - "[timeout:25]" can be changed to say "[timeout:250]"
or even greater value

(2)
If you are interested solely in how many objects are with given area:

Change
"out body;
>;
out skel qt;"

"out count;"

and switch to data tab after query completes with special warning.

(3)
You an also remove say
"  node["landuse"="yes"]({{bbox}});"
line, if you do not care about nodes (the same for ways and relations)