[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 19 09:56:00 UTC 2021

Jan 19, 2021, 10:17 by marc_marc at mailo.com:

> HEllo,
>
> Le 19.01.21 à 09:35, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging a écrit :
>
>> Infobox is a box on the side of the tag page on OSM Wiki, listing the
>> summary of the most important info.
>> Currently it contains at the bottom link to external site Wikidata
>> I propose to remove this link from infoboxes as as confusing, unnecessary
>>

> the wikidata link gives access to translations of the term in different
> languages as well as wikipedia pages that allow you to read up on a
> subject when you are unfamiliar with it.

1) such translations are often misleading as term is not exactly matching
so potential of people using translation is argument to remove it rather
than to keep it

For example (this is for English description to keep it accessible,
but translations are even worse) see below.

That was found in random sample of 100 tags with wikidata entry in infobox.

If one deliberately looks at tricky tags it gets even worse.

(A)
craft=glassblower
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1413824
glassblower - worker in glass factory that blows bottles from molten glas

is confusing at best.

(B)
amenity=toilets
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q813966
public toilet - toilet and washroom for anyone to use

mismatches OSM definition (washroom is not required)

(C)
wetland=mangrove
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q19756
mangrove - biome defined by the World Wildlife Fund

useless

(D)
barrier=step
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q53996838
step - one part of staircase

Mismatches OSM use, barrier=step is specifically used
also for single steps that are not part of larger steps
(also, is staircase limited to indoor structures?)

(E)
fail to explain relation with other OSM tags

advertising=billboard
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q623149
billboard - advertising signage

Technically correct, but not sufficient to tag well
note advertising=column and other

amenity=bar
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q187456
bar - establishment serving alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises

Technically correct, but not sufficient to tag well
(note amenity=biergarten  amenity=pub amenity=restaurant etc)

(F)
building=tent
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q170544
tent - temporary building which can be easily dismantled and which is portable

Wikidata describes meaning of "tent" not meaning of "building=tent"
building=tent is only for permanent/long standing tents

(G)
flag:type=military
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q602300
war flag - variant of a national flag for use by the nation's military forces on land

Description mismatch between "on land" from Wikidata and
"Military flags include war flags, naval flags, and flags representing specific military forces or units."
at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:flag:type%3Dmilitary

(H)
fixme
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q994972
What is the point of linking to "OpenStreetMap tag or key <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P1282>" entry on Wikidata
that is empty? Why we would ever link to Wikidata entry of
OSM tag?

2) the best place for translations of tag documentation are wiki pages
in other languages

3) there are https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_items if someone
really wants Wikidata-like thing (though dedicated wiki pages in other languages
are still much more useful as you can translate also other info)

> although osm tags do not always reflect wikipedia terms (and in this
> case don't add a bad link), how do you think that removing documentation
> when it is just there will improve the situation?

Because it is generally nearly useless, takes space, increases complexity,
is confusing, makes harder to use actually useful documentation and
people think that adding such links is useful because it is displayes

> should there be a "according to wikipedia" section on every page of the
> osm wiki, or should a free-text link be added instead of the current
> structured form?

If useful, adding link to Wikipedia in "external links" section makes sense.

But it is useful "related topic" not "exactly this thing"