[Tagging] cycleway:lane=advisory

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Tue Jan 19 09:57:38 UTC 2021

On 18/01/2021 16:51, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
> it seems that people are adopting the  two-year old tag
> cycleway:lane=advisory
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway> tag for the new
> "soft" bike lanes in various countries in Europe.
> We have them too in Italy. (example 1
> <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/uu8fFxtxTsXauu7kZjxxAg>, example 2
> <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/7eknhQC31akzOMeO6z9YgD>)
> My problem is:
> There is no clear definition in the wiki, but from the wording I assume
> that their use is not mandatory, hence the tag value "advisory".
> However the new bike lanes in Italy are not advisory for cyclists, but
> they are mandatory for cyclists. They are "soft" only for motorised
> traffic as they can be used also by motorized traffic when the width of
> the main carriageway is not sufficient.
> They do have that  problem in common with the "Schutzstreifen" in
> Germany, which I believe is tagged in the same way.
> They are  "indirectly" mandatory to cyclists, as cyclists have to use by
> law the outermost right hand part of the street (that includes the new
> type of bike lane)
>
> So the value "advisory" is wrong.

To further muddy the waters, the UK has advisory cycle lanes (with a
broken white line) and mandatory cycle lanes (solid white line).

Mandatory in this context means that it is a requirement that motor
vehicles do not drive in the lane, not that it is mandatory for cyclists
to use them. There are no lanes where it is compulsory for cyclists to
use them.