[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 19 14:51:15 UTC 2021

Jan 19, 2021, 15:31 by andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 13:44, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>
>> I reverted your edit and added clarification and fixed typo.
>>

> Your claim that "no information will be lost" has again been removed,
> for the falsehood that it is.

Can you clarify what in

"Nothing will be lost, if any of this external links are valid and not present
on [[data items]] then this info will be copied there from OSM Wiki by
author of this proposal."

you consider so false that you are keep removing it from text from
my proposal after I requested you to stop doing this?

Are you disputing "info will be copied there from OSM Wiki by author
of this proposal" part?

Or do you claim that moving this to Data Items from OSM Wiki is causing
data loss?

Probably it can be rephrased if something is wrong currently with it.

Also, please stop editing
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/remove_link_to_Wikidata_from_infoboxes&action=history
proposal in this way.

Especially part where you removed evidence that you added this parameter
without discussion with "rm partisan and irrelevant links" edit description
will be reverted before vote starts, so I am not sure why you are doing this.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/remove_link_to_Wikidata_from_infoboxes&diff=2094228&oldid=2094226

I understand that you are irritated that people dislike something that
you invented but...

>>> And these are straw men arguments.
>>>

>> Nothing quoted here is an argument
>>

> Your *arguement* is, for example, that the proposed change "has no
> impact on wikidata=*". That argument is a straw man, as are the rest
> of the arguments in that section.

That is not an argument for removal. That is an explanation what is
proposed for removal and what is not proposed, to clarify that
I am not proposing to deprecate wikidata tag.

>>> And now you're canvassing
>>>

>> Well yes.
>>

> !

Maybe I am missing something here, what you mean by canvassing?

Is it in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Canvassing meaning?

For start that is a Wikipedia policy, not OSM Wiki policy, so it is not really
applicable or relevant.

Additionally it would fall under
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Canvassing#Appropriate_notification
anyway - maybe except "Notifications must be polite, neutrally worded with a
neutral title, clear in presentation, and brief"