[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Jan 20 06:12:27 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 12:21 2021-01-19, Joseph Eisenberg đã viết:
>  > Re:If there's no exact match for amenity=toilets, one can be created
> as a
>  > replacement for Q813966 in the infobox and in the associated data item.
>  > The "OSM tag or key" external ID alone will likely protect that entity
>  > from deletion, based on Wikidata's notability guidelines. It isn't so
>  > outlandish to imagine hundreds of OSM keys and tags getting their own
>  > Wikidata items in the future for the same reason.
>
> I am perfectly happy if someone wants to run a bot that creates wikidata
> items for every documented OpenStreetMap tag.
>
> But in that case there is no need to have it added by humans, and no
> need for humans to see the Q#### code, since the key=value would be enough.

To be clear, I was not suggesting the use of a bot to mindlessly add
items about OSM keys and tags. Rather, the idea is that a semantic
difference between the literal words in a tag's name and what the tag
represents would be reason enough for a new Wikidata item. Anyways, I'm
just expressing what I see as a gap to be filled, not putting the onus
on Mateusz to edit Wikidata. If the difference is (evidently) meaningful
enough for us to spill ink over, then someone who cares enough about the
precision of OSM-Wikidata linkage can put it on their to-do list.

> I am strongly opposed to having this shown in the infobox as something
> that needs to be added, because 95% of the time users are adding
> incorrect links to somewhat-similar Wikidata concepts rather than
> creating a new wikidata entry for the OpenStreetMap tag.

Hopefully it was clear that I was responding not to the RFC but rather
to the claims made earlier in this part of the thread: not only that
"nearly all wikidata matches would be removed", but also that "there is
no value at all in linking 'OpenStreetMap tag' Wikidata entries". I
interpreted the former to include the links to Wikidata in the OSM
Wiki's data items and the latter to mean the links to the OSM Wiki's tag
description pages at Wikidata. In that case, there would be no way for a
data consumer to associate the two ontologies even with caveats. Perhaps
I was reading too much into these statements?

For what it's worth, I think it's entirely reasonable to reevaluate link
inclusion in the infobox from a reader perspective, independently of the
other ways that OSM and Wikidata may interoperate.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us