[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Jan 20 09:14:47 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 17:40 2021-01-19, 80hnhtv4agou--- via Tagging đã viết:
> i may be missing something but Pigsonthewing is a Wiki:Administrators
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki:Administrators
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki:Administrators>
> Like other systems, this wiki has a user role
> or*administrators*or*sysops*. These people can block users, 'delete'
> pages, 'protect' pages and a few other special wiki operations. They
> mainly act as janitors or operators, hence the name*sys*tem*op*erators
> within this wiki.

Andy's administrator flag isn't particularly germane to this discussion,
since the template in question allows edits by non-administrators. I did
just limit edits to autoconfirmed users, because it's risky to allow
brand-new accounts to edit a complicated, widely used template. This
semiprotected status is only intended to ward off casual vandals, since
an account can become autoconfirmed after making a small number of edits
or allowing a few days to pass.

That said, any change to this template forces the wiki to update 19,491
pages and counting, potentially affecting performance, so we should all
be careful to discuss major or potentially controversial changes
beforehand and ideally prototype them in the template's /sandbox. This
goes for administrators just as much as anyone else.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us