[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (man_made=guard_stone)

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:58:47 UTC 2021

Two observations:

*(A) Tagging of pairs or quadruplets of guard stones*
Assuming you have a node with barrier=sally_port (like this
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_stone#/media/File:RM13489_Dordrecht_-_Catharijnepoort.jpg>)
with four guard stones (one on each corner), how would you map this?

*(B) Rows of guard stones*
May I remind you (from the discussion of the predecessor proposal) that
guard stones come also as linear features, This is mentioned also in the
corresponding wikipedia page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guard_stone>:
"

   - Turns in rural roads or along parapets of bridges.
   - At turns or at intervals on a mountainous ascent. These also allowed
   helped the coachman to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards, while it
   paused to let the horses catch their breath.

"
See these two examples (1)
<https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/WimNdt77JdvTJKVVO2mJgw>, (2
<https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=46.54579916666666&lng=8.5678875&z=17.26489852259344&focus=photo&pKey=Obq2gPh-ViSMGU6EOZ2SgQ&x=0.3092059629344978&y=0.621073319804459&zoom=0>
)

(Out-of-context note:  on the road of example (2) you can travel with
a Postkutsche
drawn by six horses <https://www.gotthardpost.ch/en/>. It  has disk brakes
- no need any more for guard stones.
BTW How do we tag such a service? It's a scheduled daily service from
Airolo to Andermatt, but a bit expensive)

These rows of guard stones could be included in the proposal.
They could be mapped with man_made=guard_stone_row (a bit like tree and
tree_row) or with barrier=guard_stones in a similar way to guard rails.

Volker