[Tagging] what is confusing on tag pages was: RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:36:47 UTC 2021

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 20:36, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Jan 20, 2021, 10:05 by minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us:
>
> A "Help:Key and value description pages" article would complement the
> editor-focused page you recently created [8] but for readers. Wikipedia's
> help page for taxoboxes could be a helpful starting point. [9] Personally,
> I tend to dive into things before reading documentation, but some people
> are more comfortable interacting with a website that provides that level of
> detail.
> [8]
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_page_describing_key_or_value
> [9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_read_a_taxobox
>
> Good idea, though it would help if someone would give examples what is
> confusing
> for them. Right now I am unsure what deserves explanation and what is clear
>
> (in a separate email to increase chance that someone will respond)

Copy of the reply I just sent to the other thread! :-)

Thank you for that.

One problem though, is that while it talks about what you need to have on
the page, there's no mention of a template or similar to complete to say
what goes where?

We've got instructions for a Proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Creating_a_proposal_page
which has had a lot of work done over the last week or two - thanks
everybody! - but is there anything similar for a simple "key / tag / value"
page?

Thanks

Graeme