[Tagging] what is confusing on tag pages was: RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Thu Jan 21 02:16:59 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 15:36 2021-01-20, Graeme Fitzpatrick đã viết:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 20:36, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org
> <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>     Jan 20, 2021, 10:05 by
>     minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
>     <mailto:minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>:
>
>         A "Help:Key and value description pages" article would
>         complement the editor-focused page you recently created [8] but
>         for readers. Wikipedia's help page for taxoboxes could be a
>         helpful starting point. [9] Personally, I tend to dive into
>         things before reading documentation, but some people are more
>         comfortable interacting with a website that provides that level
>         of detail.
>         [8]
>         https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_page_describing_key_or_value
>         <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_page_describing_key_or_value>
>         [9]
>         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_read_a_taxobox
>         <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_read_a_taxobox>
>
>     Good idea, though it would help if someone would give examples what
>     is confusing
>     for them. Right now I am unsure what deserves explanation and what
>     is clear
>
>     (in a separate email to increase chance that someone will respond)
>

> Copy of the reply I just sent to the other thread! :-)
>
> Thank you for that.
>
> One problem though, is that while it talks about what you need to have
> on the page, there's no mention of a template or similar to complete to
> say what goes where?
>
> We've got instructions for a Proposal
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Creating_a_proposal_page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Creating_a_proposal_page>
> which has had a lot of work done over the last week or two - thanks
> everybody! - but is there anything similar for a simple "key / tag /
> value" page?

I think this is the idea behind the new how-to guide. [1]

Somewhat tangentially, I recently prototyped a new workflow that would
make it easier to create a key/tag description page even if you haven't
read the how-to guide. [2]

When you land on a page that hasn't been created yet, the "Create this
page" link takes you to a prefilled boilerplate with comments that guide
you through the different sections to write. If there's already an
associated data item, the boilerplate turns the data item's statements
into {{KeyDescription}} or {{ValueDescription}} parameters. So even if
you don't touch the infobox while creating the page, it should have most
of the right parameters filled out.

The boilerplate needs some work before it's ready to go live, but you
can try it out at the link in [2]. I'd appreciate suggestions and bug
reports.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Creating_a_page_describing_key_or_value
[2]