[Tagging] HIV and support facilities tagging scheme!

Mikko Tamura mikko.tamura at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:28:55 UTC 2021

Greetings everyone! We would like to sought for your feedback, suggestions,
and thoughts on tagging features on OSM specifically on HIV and support
facilities. Currently, MapBeks is moving forward in validating the collated
data that we have collected and would be putting it on OSM so that we can
create webmaps for the lgbt and plhiv communities here.

So just a quick background, we were able to upload half of our facilities
last year with the very extensive tagging system using combinations from
the Healthcare 2.0 proposal such as health_service:test=yes, etc. So pretty
much our scheme before was:

So based on some discussions with other OSM peepz. we have proceeded in
changing our old scheme to a slightly easier way:

1. instead of tagging disease:hiv=yes we used a new one as suggest by
Joseph Eisenberg - since hiv is really not a virus and there was a bad
connotation on the term diseased or disease we therefore moved our edits to
using *infection:hiv=yees*

*2. * One problem we faced is that we have 3 types of hiv services here
identified: 1. treatment and inpatient care 2. dispensing of medicines and
3. hiv testing and counselling  - for this we think we can differentiate
the features through the following tags: *hiv:test =yes* (for testing
availability); *hiv:medicine=yes* (for dispensing of meds); and
*hiv:inpatient=yes* (for patients that can stay in a facility due to
complications brought by hiv).

3. Second concern would be the way it would be tagged. previously we added
the tag within the hospital grounds or where there is the amenity=hospital
or amenity=clinic or healthcare=laboratory is. But this can be problematic
in the case where the feature can get mixed up with other details like
contact information or schedules. Usually as well the HIV facility is a
separate private room or office. So we thought of using the *amenity=doctors
or amenity=clinic *(specially if it is its own building or couple of room).

4. Lastly, the tagging convention for social facilities use the term
diseased. We do feel that there might be a negative connotation as well for
this thus we hope to propose an additional tag specifically for the persons
living with hiv community (plhiv) such as *social_facility:for=plhiv* or
possibly extend it for other purposes as well such as other services that
provide opportunities for the marginalized communities. such as
office:for=plhiv, etc.
I am very excited for your feedback and you may also visit our
documentation wiki at:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/HIV_Facilities_Tagging_(MapBeks)#Tagging_scheme_for_HIV_facilities

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

--