[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Fri Jan 22 22:41:59 UTC 2021

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 16:55:33 -0500
"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my users sent over this link which shows a road tagged highway=trunk
> which is clearly not accessible to runners (or at least, those that are not
> suicidal):
>
> https://goo.gl/maps/HLrQxu5Dh83aCxsL9

The Swedish WP page describes this as "fully leveled with a central
strip and at least two lanes in each direction. It is not a signposted
motorway but has a sufficient standard for it. Slow-moving vehicles
were banned during rush hour in 2008." The latter is visible in
streetview. This a bit of an odd example as it is obvious that this
street is mostly viewed as a motorway/motorroad by locals from the
description on WP page and the visuals. I am not familiar with Swedish
traffic law but I would assume that this should be tagged with foot=no
or motorroad=yes even when following a more strict interpretation of the
access tag. I am pretty sure that police would come and check if you
would try to walk there even beside the street/outside the railings...

In general, however, I am a dedicated member of #teamlegal regarding
the access rights because it is the (most) verifiable attribute. For
many countries the wiki documents food=no as default for trunks:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions

I would not include trunks as runnable roads. Can you please give an
example where "it is just fine to run along the shoulders of trunk
roads"?