[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 13:06:02 UTC 2021

On 22/01/2021 23:24, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> There is this wiki page on Default Access
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions>,
> which shows that this is country-dependent
> I do not know to what extent this is taken into consideration by routers.

Obviously, it depends on the router.  In some cases I suspect "it
isn't"*.  The instance of OSRM that is linked to from osm.org doesn't
like foot routing on trunk roads - see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_foot&route=54.0440%2C-0.9416%3B54.0410%2C-0.9469#map=14/54.0414/-0.9253
.  That router is hosted in Germany, where as I understand it things
tend to only get tagged as "trunk" when they are also "motorroad=yes",
so perhaps it's applying "normal German tag usage" worldwide.

In this example, the relevant bit of trunk road
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/868354780#map=16/54.0434/-0.9456 has a
sidewalk tag on it, and I'd always suggest ensuring that things like
sidewalks, verges or shoulders are mapped.  There will still (as here)
be data consumers that ignore that information, but hopefully in the
future those issues can be resolved.

Best Regards,

Andy

* There are exceptions - from memory I think that https://cycle.travel
is one example that does have different rules in different places