[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (man_made=guard_stone)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sat Jan 23 14:32:56 UTC 2021

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 16:58:47 +0100
Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> *(B) Rows of guard stones*
> May I remind you (from the discussion of the predecessor proposal) that
> guard stones come also as linear features, This is mentioned also in the
> corresponding wikipedia page
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guard_stone>:
> "
>
>    - Turns in rural roads or along parapets of bridges.
>    - At turns or at intervals on a mountainous ascent. These also allowed
>    helped the coachman to keep the vehicle from rolling backwards, while it
>    paused to let the horses catch their breath.
>
> "
> See these two examples (1)
> <https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/WimNdt77JdvTJKVVO2mJgw>, (2
> <https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=46.54579916666666&lng=8.5678875&z=17.26489852259344&focus=photo&pKey=Obq2gPh-ViSMGU6EOZ2SgQ&x=0.3092059629344978&y=0.621073319804459&zoom=0>
> )

WP does not cite any sources for that and I have a hard time finding
relevant written proofs for a) the usage of these stones for that
purpose (although it does not seem far-fetched), b) those being
actually named guard stone.
Does anybody have a better source than some sentence in wikipedia
without citations?