[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Sat Jan 23 15:30:50 UTC 2021

On 22-01-2021 22:55, Brian M. Sperlongano wrote:
> Interested in hearing community thoughts as to how you make use of
> the foot=* tag in your area and recommendations on how to tackle
> this problem generally from a data consumer perspective.

If you are evaluating pedestrian access, don't forget to treat
foot=use_sidepath as a negative value as well (i.e., no access, in this
case because a mapped parallel way should be used instead).

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:foot%3Duse_sidepath

And as other have noted, pedestrian access to trunk roads or higher is
strictly out of the question in many countries, so always start with the
default access rules for the country the way is in before applying the
tagged foot=* values.

> The European view seems to be that foot=no is ONLY applied in places
> where pedestrian access is signed as illegal or otherwise codified in
> law.

This is simply because situations where pedestrians may use the road but
can't because the road is unsuitable are rare if existent at all in some
countries — like the Netherlands. I know only a few cases of roads
outside of built-up areas that lack signage or applicable laws
forbidding pedestrians yet really shouldn't be used by them at all.

Perhaps countries like the US need a foot=discouraged tag or something
like that which offers navigation software the choice to avoid or
include such roads.