[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:20:07 UTC 2021

Take a look again at the Sweden example.

https://goo.gl/maps/HLrQxu5Dh83aCxsL9

Without knowing anything about Swedish law, it's clear that the road is
physically inaccessible to pedestrians, and any pedestrian router that
routes over it would be in error.  The question of whether or not a
pedestrian can be routed down this particular road, the answer of which is
obvious to any human, should not be a complex AI problem.  There are really
not very many applications that care about the distinction between "legally
prohibited" and "physical impossibility" - whether the outcome is being
arrested or becoming a hood ornament, the answer for nearly every
application is the same.  The purity test that people seem to want to apply
to foot=no results in tagging that is less useful for real applications in
the real world.  Commenters are using the term "suitability" as if cases
like this example are some kind of gray scale that a pedestrian may or may
not find acceptable based on preference.

My application will be fine here, and I consider the problem "solved" from
a pedestrian router perspective.  I tell my users which combinations of
tags I consider to be "not accessible to runners/joggers" and they can go
duke it out in the map as they see fit.