[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:13:32 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:36 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 24 Jan 2021, at 17:22, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Without knowing anything about Swedish law, it's clear that the road is
> physically inaccessible to pedestrians, and any pedestrian router that
> routes over it would be in error.
>

> if there is no shoulder and no sidewalk, you must walk at the border of
> the carriageway, at least in many countries this is the case.
>
> If the intention is to legally prevent it, you would have to put a
> motorway or motorroad sign or one that explicitly forbids pedestrians.

While this may be true in certain countries, quite simply, this is false as
a general rule worldwide.
US laws prohibit walking on Interstate highway, but there is not always
signage explicitly prohibiting pedestrians.  There are also state highways
built to the same standards as interstate highways.

Here is one such highway entrance that I am familiar with.  If you hit
"play" you will encounter exactly zero signs prohibiting pedestrian access
as you transition from surface roads to a controlled-access state highway
(highway=motorway) to an interstate highway (also highway=motorway).
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/MW4IkWoY7JicUlmyqbSN2B

Traffic signage in the US varies quite a bit from place to place and in
general there is much less explicit signage here that in Europe, especially
when it comes to pedestrians.  Quite a bit of US traffic law is written but
not signed, and there is a well-known phrase "ignorance of the law is no
excuse".  Many of our laws are not signed and you just have to know about
them (seriously).  The US is a very car-oriented place; pedestrian access
is often an afterthought (if thought of at all) outside of urban areas.
Relying solely on explicit signage without local knowledge would result in
nonsensical tagging.