[Tagging] Consider amenity=water as deprecated?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 21:43:55 UTC 2021

I agree with marking it as deprecated.

TagHistory shows that usage was never common, and has decreased since 2017:
https://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/amenity/water

Looking at existing nodes, many are amenity=water + drinking_water=no which
is odd, and these seem to be water taps in Germany mostly which are not
intended for drinking for some reason, but this can be man_made=water_tap
now (approved in 2015
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap):
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/12Ky

All the possible meanings have approved or de facto alternative tags.

To your list I would also add natural=water or landuse=basin for ponds or
small pools of water, man_made=storage_tank for water storage tanks, and
man_made=water_tower for water towers.

– Joseph Eisenberg