[Tagging] Numbered streets (1st Street vs First, etc)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Jan 25 07:04:10 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 14:56 2021-01-23, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:

>> On 23 Jan 2021, at 23:19, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> The "official" orthography can go in "official_name" and the on-the-ground name can go in "name".
>

> unless the on the ground name is abbreviated (very common in some areas), in which case there isn’t an attribute for the on the ground name exactly as on the ground. You could map individual street signs though (maybe makes more sense because every sign may have an alternative form/abbreviations)

Mapping individual street signs would be the only way to strictly adhere
to the on-the-ground rule in San José, Califiornia, one of the largest
cities in the U.S. Throughout the street grid, street name signs
alternate between numerals and words every other block [1], for drivers
and pedestrians alike [2], replete with idiosyncratic spellings like
"Twentyfourth St" [3] and "Thirty-third St" [4].

I don't know why the city does that. Maybe the idea is that numerals are
easier to comprehend but words are less confusable. But if roadway name
tags hewed so strictly to the signposted spelling, then the map would
look full of mistakes. Navigation applications would also find it
challenging to abbreviate the street names to fit on a small phone screen.

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alternating_overhead_street_name_signs_in_San_Jose,_California.jpg
[2] https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/tuwGAGBtTmNtJmRXfTTVzA
[3] https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/urj_yuUmzpKTk4O-ggHbwA