[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 25 14:56:56 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:36:30 +0100
Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> The German "Kraftfahrstrasse", which I presume was the prototype for this
> tag, is legally (mostly) orthogonal to the other German road
> classifications. It can be applied to  many difernt road types. The purpose
> is to exclude slow traffic by limiting the access to vehicles that are (a)
> motorized and (b) are certified for a maxspeed of more than 60km.
> So, at least for Germany, it makes sense to have this as a separate tag
> from the highway=* classes

Yes, that's more or less the same definition for the other countries
too AFAICT; and thus it would have been most sensible to add it as an
access value like fast_motor_vehicle or similar instead of introducing a
completely separate value creating another dimension in the data.

We won't change that in the foreseeable future but I wanted to stress
that fact because at least in the past we have often made such mistakes
that led to de-facto standards that harm us and that cannot easily be
corrected. Our development model to come up with new schemes/tags is
very liberal by design and that's the consensus but there is a strong
force against changing well-established tags even if they are
objectively worse than alternatives for obvious reason (we are still
using highway as the key for tiny paths in the wilderness FFS :)
That's also consensus but our decisions have consequences that last for
a long time and I think it is important to remember that.

Probably all readers of tagging understand this anyway (even if they
don't agree with me on every detail here). Thus I'll rest my
case/rant. :)