[Tagging] Tagging a Portuguese pavement

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:40:15 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:
> although there are Portuguese pavements as smooth as a tile, created
> with modern techniques, but they're usually found indoors, inside
> important public buildings and private ones.

I'd recommend adding smoothness=excellent if they're good enough for
skating on them, otherwise smoothness=good is probably a better
choice. I guess one can't normally ride a racing bike on most
Portuguese pavements, so I think it usually is more like
smoothness=intermediate (per wiki definitions of smoothness), though
it certainly varies, as do most other values of surface=*.

> Since this kind of pavement is not a pattern, I would exclude that also.

Indeed. My original proposal was actually paving_style instead of
paving_pattern.

> Technically, in OSM database terms, I don't know what's the difference between a tag and a namespace (I would appreciate if someone could explain this).

See here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Namespace

"sett:style" is a tag, "sett:" (the prefix part) is a namespace that
groups all tags that begin with "sett:". Many namespaces (such as
"addr:") have their own article explaining more complex tagging
schemes. Namespaces are sometimes handled differently by tools. For
example, in JOSM, if you search for sidewalk=left you don't have to
surround anything with quotes, but if you search for
"sidewalk:surface"=sett you must surround the tag name with quotes
otherwise it is considered an invalid expression.

--
Fernando Trebien