[Tagging] consider website=www.openstreetmap.org to be OK

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Jan 26 08:40:29 UTC 2021

On 26.01.2021 07:59, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> To be clear, I propose to consider both
> website=https://www.openstreetmap.org/
> and
> website=www.openstreetmap.org/
> to be equally valid. I am not requesting to switch this.

I oppose this. The second one is no valid URL.
While browsers do some tricks to auto-complete URLs and some even force
a specific protocol on the user, there are situations possible where
this is not intended. So to avoid any ambiguities, we should store the
full path.

Technically http and https also point to different port numbers (80/443).
It is possible to present totally different websites on
http://www.example.com/ and https://www.example.com/.

Highlighting such addresses in validation tools provide another chance
to verify them.

If an address is incomplete, you could check whether the content is
still what it is supposed to be.
Websites change and can point to parking pages, domain resellers or
totally different and now unrelated content.
These kind of checks are quite difficult to implement in an automated way.

I do not ask anyone to now manually check and verify all invalid
addresses right away. We do it like we do it with all the other things
pointed out by validators. Do it bit by bit.

It would be nice if the editors could be a bit more strict and at least
warn the mapper before such things are added to OSM.

Stephan