[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Documenting the Key: addr:parentstreet

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Tue Jan 26 09:23:57 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 04:45:11PM +0000, Peter Neale via Tagging wrote:
> With some trepidation, I have now moved the proposal to document the key:  "addr:parentstreet" to the RFC stage.
> This is my first proposal, so please be understanding.
> Please see here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Proposal_to_Document_the_Key_%22addr:parentstreet%22

Thanks for writing it up. It proves the point I was making earlier:

Case 1 and 4 are really examples where you have two streets in the
address. addr:street + addr:parentstreet sounds about right.

Case 2 and 3, on the other hand, now have a building name in the
addr:street tag. This is incompatible with the standing definition
of the key in OSM.

The UK mailing list had the suggestion to add an additional addr:terrace
for the caseas 2 and 3. I really think that is the best way to go here,
although I would suggest the more generic addr:building.

So in total we'd end up with four forms of addresses:

* addr:housenumber + addr:street
  (classic street address)
* addr:housenumber + addr:place
  (address without street)
* addr:housenumber + addr:street + addr:parentstreet
  (address with 2 streets)
* addr:housenumber + addr:building + addr:street
  (address with housenumbers referring to terraces or buildings)

Kind regards

Sarah