[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Tue Jan 26 18:01:24 UTC 2021

Le 26.01.21 à 18:48, Michael Montani a écrit :
> I wanted to ask one doubt on the usage of place=* nodes with name=*,
> especially when mapping villages in Africa. Is it mandatory or highly
> suggested?

a place that has no name should not have a place=* object.
but it's quite normal not to know everything, especially with
source=imagery and therefore it's quite valid to have a place=* that
doesn't have yet a tag name=*.
however if someone were to notice that this place has no name, because
for example it's a piece of a bigger place=* with a name, he would just
have to change it to no:place=* + noname=yes (to avoid that another
contributor adds a place=* back)