[Tagging] converted_by : discardable ?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Tue Jan 26 18:05:56 UTC 2021

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 12:37:24 -0500
"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, you have my support.  Inertia and the fear of object revision counts
> by one are a poor excuse for keeping obviously useless cruft in the
> database.

Imports and automated edits are subject to discussion for a reason and
you should never just do it without substantial feedback. However,
not every "automated" edit is equally risky or potentially harmful. The
risk of destroying anything of value here is about nil. I don't value
the argument of big BBes not at all either (from a human perspective at
least - is there are technical reason to avoid big BBes?).

However, we should also make sure that it does not come back.
Documenting it in the wiki is therefore useful, thanks for the addition.
Also, somebody might want to make sure that the source of 90% of these
entries gets fixed. No, idea if anybody still uses that track2osm but
it still contains the code that creates these entries:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Track2osm

Did anybody check when that tag has been added the last time? Removing
the tags globally once is OK IMHO but doing it every month because they
still get added again would certainly not be a good idea :)
The resolution of the chronology is not good enough to discern that.