[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Tue Jan 26 18:26:55 UTC 2021

>> Which part of Wiki definition you consider as requiring changes?

I don't know if it is only a problem of misunderstanding but parts like:

'... location is known by a particular name ...'
'... Defines the center or outline of a named place ...'

gives to me the idea that a place (meant as human settlement, for which a rank can be chosen) must have a name information, while in my opinion couldn't be always the case, especially for small settlements as place=isolated_dwellings. A toponym is defined only by the presence of name=*, to me, and can be highly suggested for place=*.

I would rather focus the attention on the fact it's a human settlement which approximate population size and availability of facilities is defining the rank, which supposedly has a name but not always.

>> a place that has no name should not have a place=* object.

Yes, I definetely cannot understand this sentence. Could you elaborate? To me, only place=locality without name=* wouldn't make any sense, but place!=locality without name=* would be fine (even in case the name doesn't actually exist), because it's describing a human settlment.

Thanks,
Michael