[Tagging] 2-letter country codes

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 01:03:54 UTC 2021

Hello,

Recently I was editing near the US/Canada border (and had both boundary
relations in JOSM), and I noted a JOSM validator finding for the tag
country_code_iso3166_1_alpha_2 (because it ends in a number).

Digging into this more deeply, it seems that there are two ways to tag
two-letter country codes currently in use:

country_code_iso3166_1_alpha_2
ISO3166-1:alpha2

Both tags have similar usages (with the latter being slightly more common).

The first version is documented here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Country_code

The second version is documented here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place=country

I note at least one recent changeset removing the first style and adding
the second one: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/95358283

Surely, if there's anything we should standardize on globally, it's country
codes!