[Tagging] consider website=www.openstreetmap.org to be OK

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:36:57 UTC 2021

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 16:35, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Taginfo shows 0 (zero) uses of the string "gopher://" in values or keys:
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=gopher%3A%2F%2F

It looks to me like it only searches keys, not values.  I could be wrong,
but
when I replaced "gopher://" with "yes" I only got a few bizarre keys with
"yes" in them rather than the gazillions of results I would expect if it
were
also searching values.

> This discussion seems to be considering very hypothetical uses rather than
> what is practical for mapper and database users.

Gopher is rare these days (and always was).  But I have encountered
resources
that were only available by ftp.  I've not yet had to include such in a
tag, but
that does not mean it will never happen.

Of course, if you're being meticulous you don't just type in a URL and
hope you didn't make a mistake, you check it in your browser.  And if
you then cut-and-paste from the address bar, you get the scheme for
free.  So anyone using due diligence to enter URLs won't find it a problem
to enter the scheme, it would be more effort to remove it.

website=* in practice is only used for normal website addresses like
> https:// or http://

And should only be used with those schemes.  But it is (IMO) unsuitable for
anything BUT websites and should not be used for a single web page within
a site.  For such webpages I use URL (since we don't have a webpage key).

> I have not bothered to add these prefixes when typing in a web address
> since about 1996.

I always check such links in my browser.  Usually because I've clicked on a
link
given elsewhere, often a google search, and need to check that it is really
what
I think it is.  From there, it's cut-and-paste because that's less effort
than typing
the whole thing in (and less prone to error).  If you're typing it in every
time
you're doing it the hard way.

--
Paul